Re: Questions about OSX compatibility

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Questions about OSX compatibility
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 11:36:53 +0200

Am 16.06.2017 um 08:29 schrieb Sebastian Reitenbach <address@hidden>:
>> On Thursday, June 15, 2017 21:28 CEST, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream)
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> There's an issue with compatibility though. If existing binaries link
>>> dynamically to OpalGraphics expecting the ImageIO symbols in there, we
>>> cause them to break, for instance. How would you suggest we make this
>>> change to OpalImage without these consequences?
>>
>> True, that's indeed a concern for distros.
>>
>> I was going to suggest that we don't care and simply have people
>> rebuild their software, but we would be breaking binary compatibility,
>> which would make distros demand blood from us.
>>
>> How about OpalGraphics's implementations of the functions
>> 1) print out a warning
>> 2) dlopen() ImageIO and execute the symbols there?
>
> at least as an OpenBSD packager, I'd say "no issue",
> but more seriously: Why not just do a major bump of the
> library and done. Everyone knows such major bumps
> may break existing things. Release notes should provide
> a clear way forward for people/packagers/distris.

As far as I know there are no applications out there using opal. Up to now this
library is work in progress. A year ago I fixed some substantial issues in it,
which nobody had complaint about.
Still I don't see a reason for splitting this up. What we need is some header
files with the expected includes for the existing headers. For linking we will
need to provide our own build scripts anyway.
We don't need to provide stuff in the exact same form as Apple does.

Having the files in a subdirectory of opal called OpalImage seems like a good
idea though.