Re: Compilation error/ARC link errors...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Compilation error/ARC link errors...
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 03:11:31 +0000

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 11:51 Gregory Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks.  I need to make sure my installation is clean

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 05:33 David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
On 1 Aug 2017, at 08:15, Gregory Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:

> Which ObjC runtime are you using?
>
> The built in one in gcc.

The missing symbols are all ones that are defined by libobjc2 and used in NSAutoreleasePool.  For example:

https://github.com/gnustep/libs-base/blob/master/Source/NSAutoreleasePool.m#L217

They are all protected by #ifdef ARC_RUNTIME:

https://github.com/gnustep/libs-base/blob/master/Source/NSAutoreleasePool.m#L178

This, in turn, is defined by this block:

https://github.com/gnustep/libs-base/blob/master/Source/NSAutoreleasePool.m#L36

        #if __has_include(<objc/capabilities.h>)
        #  include <objc/capabilities.h>
        #  ifdef OBJC_ARC_AUTORELEASE_DEBUG
        #    include <objc/objc-arc.h>
        #    define ARC_RUNTIME 1
        #  endif
        #endif

It therefore looks as if you have the headers for libobjc2 installed, but are linking against a different runtime.

David

It did, indeed, turn out to be a library I installed unintentionally in wrong place.   Everything is working fine now.

Thanks. GC

--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/