Re: gnustep on FreeBSD and how to use the debugger

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gnustep on FreeBSD and how to use the debugger
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 08:13:19 +0200

Hi

Gregory Casamento wrote:
I'm not sure that lldb works all that well with ObjC on non-darwin operating systems at this point. I've tried it and had some similar problems. Does FreeBSD still include the GCC toolchain at all as an option or not? (I know they now use clang as their main compiler... just wondering)

it still includes both gdb and gcc. You should install the one from ports.
GDB works form me quite fine, however GCC not, it broke a couple of months ago due to some C++ library issues David C. found out, I opened a bug report, but so far no progress was made. gcc 5, 6 and experimental 7 are provided, however the status for me is (as of 2 days ago updated packages)

gcc5: everything compiles fine, most application run, but some may crash and the crash shows C++ library issues. Specifically for me only GWorkspace crashes. I have not tried yet compiling without ICU though.

gcc6: the Obj-C compiler is so bad that it segfaults during configure tests. If continued, it will fail with an ICE during the first files of base

gcc7: just a little bit better, but it still ICE and segfaults during compilation of base

gcc 6 & 7 Obj-C compilers are however fine on other platforms I do compile whole GNUstep on Debian with 7.2 and it compiles and runs fine. So it is a platform issue. I opened a bug report to FreeBSD; but no news yet.

Riccardo