Re: Upcoming 0.26.0, please review release notes

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Upcoming 0.26.0, please review release notes
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 10:24:27 +0000

On 11 Dec 2017, at 21:04, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:

> В Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:45:04 +0000, Richard Frith-Macdonald написа:
>
>> As far as I know there should be nothng that breaks binary
>> compatibility (so I'd have made it 1.25.1), but if people want a new
>> library version number I don't see any problem with that.
>
> Please don't bump the SONAME if the changes don't break binary
> compatibility.  Superfluous bumping is not so bad as retaining the
> SONAME if there's ABI breakage but it's not a good practice and leads
> to unnecessary burden for users and distros.

While I agree that it’s bad form, at least for FreeBSD it doesn’t make any
difference for the packagers.  We will rebuild all of the packages that depend
on -base when there are any changes to the -base library, whether the SO
version has changed or not.

It takes less than 24 hours to build the entire 30,000 package set on a single
machine these days and it’s far better to burn some cycles unnecessarily than
to ship a package set with ABI breakage.  Even if the ABI is backwards
compatible, there may be changes to the headers that will cause dependent
software to enable new features at compile time, so skipping a rebuild is
usually a bad idea.