Re: Upcoming 0.26.0, please review release notes

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Upcoming 0.26.0, please review release notes
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 17:34:28 +0100

> Am 11.12.2017 um 17:45 schrieb David Chisnall <address@hidden>:
>
> On 11 Dec 2017, at 10:46, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> It’s likely to change some of the -base / libobjc2 interfaces and possibly
>>> be a requirement of the new libobjc2, so I’d prefer a major version bump
>>> then, but it probably doesn’t have to be one.
>>>
>>> I’ve committed the fixes for NSMapTable where we were using the wrong hash
>>> and equality functions if you use the normal constructors - those are
>>> probably the most important things to get out.
>>
>> Makes sense.
>>
>> I think that we can still do a major version bump in a few days, even
>> if it includes "just" your new fixes.
>>
>> I've just spent some time cutting -gui and -back so it would be a
>> minor effort for me if I were to do it.
>

> I had some time to finish up most of the changes and have sent a pull request
> for review.  I think I probably want to add a couple of weak functions for
> refcount manipulation that will allow either the runtime or -base to provide
> them, depending on the versions of each.

I had a short look at your pull request and in my opinion it is too complex to
be merged directly before a release with out proper testing on a lot of
different machines. We should make a release without it and merge directly
after that and with a few months of general testing a new release should be
done.