Re: Upcoming 0.26.0, please review release notes

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Upcoming 0.26.0, please review release notes
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:32:14 +0000

On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:54, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On 12 Dec 2017, at 16:34, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I had a short look at your pull request and in my opinion it is too complex
>> to be merged directly before a release with out proper testing on a lot of
>> different machines. We should make a release without it and merge directly
>> after that and with a few months of general testing a new release should be
>> done.
>
> That's my impression also, but I've only had a chance to take a very, very
> quick skim through part of the changes.
> I'll try to look through more thoroughly tomorrow.

I have submitted PR19, which cleans up the layering between libobjc2 and -base
for reference counting.  This is now passing all of the tests in Travis and,
for me, works with both libobjc2 trunk and the weakref branch (which improves a
bunch of ARC stuff and which I’d like to push to master soon).

While doing this, I realised that the last release of libobjc2 was over two
years ago and there have been a *lot* of improvements since then[1].  It would
be good to push a new libobjc2 release out over Christmas, but getting all of
the ARC improvements in there requires PR19 being merged to -base (and a -base
release).

David

[1] Current draft release notes:
https://github.com/gnustep/libobjc2/blob/weakref/ANNOUNCE