Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.26.1
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 20:33:08 +0100

> Am 02.01.2018 um 08:37 schrieb David Chisnall <address@hidden>:
>
> On 2 Jan 2018, at 07:29, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> В Tue, 02 Jan 2018 07:20:39 +0000, David Chisnall написа:
>>
>>> Is there a good reason why we release -back as a separate package?
>>
>> One good reason to have -back as a separate package containing
>> dynamically loadable bundles is that you can switch the backends all
>> the time without hassle and that's sometimes useful, particularly for
>> testing/debugging purposes.  It also allows the user to override the
>> system administrator's decision and change to a different backend
>> (provided it's installed, of course).
>
> Having it as a separate loadable library / bundle has definite value, but
> that’s not what I was asking.  The -base package, for example, had an
> optional loadable bundle for using OpenSSL, but we never released that as a
> separate package.  Releasing a single tarball of -gui that included -back
> would make version mismatches harder and would not lose the ability to
> install multiple back ends.

I think the point that Yavor was referring to is that we have three different
options for the -back library, which are chosen at configuration time. So I
think the idea would be that packagers could choose to provide packages for
-back configured with the art backend, the cairo backend and the xlib backend.
Note that you can have all three different versions installed on the same
system being able to switch backends at runtime just via user defaults. I
presume doing something similar with a single gui/back package would be rather
difficult.

Wolfgang