Re: NSConnection/NSInvocation compiler optimization

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSConnection/NSInvocation compiler optimization
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 08:48:55 +0000

> On 18 Jan 2018, at 23:29, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> In Source/Makefile.postamble, optimization is explicitly turned off
> for NSConnection.m and NSInvocation.m.  This was made in August 1999
> (commit 90f2d8a).  I can imagine the reasoning but is it still
> relevant?
>
> I tried a build with default (-O2) optimization and I don't observe
> any regression, at least on GNU/Linux (x86 + x86_64) with GCC.  The
> testsuite also passes successfully.

Good point.  Any problem with current compilers is likely to indicate a gnustep
bug we should fix, and I can't imagine we are using ancient compilers anywhere.
I have tested re-enabling the optimisation with gcc and clang and spotted no
problems, so I've re-enabled optimisation for those files (and removed the
obsolete settring for mframe.m).