Re: Dev meeting 2018?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Dev meeting 2018?
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 08:47:14 +0000

> On 6 Feb 2018, at 15:23, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Meeting with Richard and Fred at FOSDEM was good.

Yews, it was great to saee you again, along with the other GNUstep related
people we were able to meet.  FOSDEM is a good place to meet old friends again.

> If you have an opinion, please answer this: Do we want another meeting later
> in 2018? Location to be determined.
>
> If you believe that 'yes' is the answer, before answering 'yes', consider
> also saying why; what concrete goals do you want to achieve? Some other
> answers include 'no' and 'not in 2018, but yes in 20YY.'
>
> What I would not be a fan of is planning a meeting 'just' to meet or discuss
> 'what I want'. I think many things we have discussed in 2015 still apply. And
> organizing meetings like this is complicated and possibly expensive for the
> organizer, and *definitely* expensive for the attendees.
>
> I'd myself find it more useful to have a multiday hackathon with specific
> workgroups agreeing to specific goals and perhaps an overarching theme. Maybe
> only a few talks and topics to actually discuss.

All that makes sense to me.  In particular I would like to meet new people, who
have not been core developers in the past, to try and collaborate on their pet
projects (concrete goals).  We can get a lot done in a hackathon if there are
concrete targets.