Re: Out-of-tree builds?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Out-of-tree builds?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 16:42:22 +0100

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
I need to build GNUstep in a couple of different configurations, for testing.
For most projects, I would do this by using out-of-tree builds, but this
doesn’t appear to work for GNUstep.  Is there a mechanism for doing this that I
can’t find, or is it just a limitation of the build system?

as far as I know, no, a gnustep-make limitation. It would be something very useful to have.

E.g. on system with limited (or "slow") diskspace, but also on systems where GIT and SVN (with TLS upgrade  for github lately) are not working. I could have a single source checked out on a "server" machine and then NFS mound the sources on different architectures and be sure to build.

Think more: if I develop a patch and want to test it, I need to create the patch, copy it ofer a couple of machines, build and then if all is OK, check it in. The other way, I could develop the patch, test it on a standard machine, then all other machines would see the same "patched" sources, if everything builds, I can easily commit without having to patch N different source trees.

Even more, I could have a GCC and a Clang build in the same machine coming from the same source tree.

Possibilities are endless!

Riccardo