Re: New ABI NSConstantString

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: New ABI NSConstantString
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:00:02 +0100

On 1 Apr 2018, at 11:36, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Wouldn’t the most useful structure be the one we already use for GSString?
>
> @interface GSString : NSString
> {
> @public
>  GSCharPtr _contents;
>  unsigned int _count;
>  struct {
>    unsigned int       wide: 1;        // 16-bit characters in string?
>    unsigned int       owned: 1;       // Set if the instance owns the
>                                       // _contents buffer
>    unsigned int       unused: 2;
>    unsigned int       hash: 28;
>  } _flags;
> }
> @end
>
> Of course constant strings won’t require  the hidden reference count that
> come with all ObjC objects. But apart from that it seems to be a more useful
> structure. Storing the length with the string should speed up some common
> operations and 28 bit of hash should still be enough. There are even two
> unused bits in the flags that could encode the specific hash function.

It would probably help catch more bugs if we made use of NSString’s
class-cluster nature more in -base.  I have just fixed a bug in GSString where
we were checking one object matched a particular class before dereferencing the
_flags ivar of the other.  I caught this because the other was a GSTinyString,
which is almost never a valid pointer.

Prior to this, we were checking whatever data happened to be in the wide byte
and, if the other string happened to have the _contents array in the same place
we were doing something that probably wouldn’t crash but may or may not give
the correct answer.

I don’t know if we have other bugs of this nature hidden by the fact that 99%
of the time we’re using strings with the same structure.