Re: Please can we write informative commit messages?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Please can we write informative commit messages?
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 14:52:37 +0100

On 6 Apr 2018, at 13:03, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

> I fully agree with you that we need more meaningful commit and ChangeLog
> messages. But if it is "trivial to automatically generate a ChangeLog from a
> commit log“ why did you fail to do so for your last commit?

Because I have a finite amount of time to spend on GNUstep and don’t consider
duplicating information in a less useful location to be a particularly
productive use of that time.  It appears that the XSLT that I used with svn
doesn’t work correctly with git and no one has bothered to update it because
most projects moved away from ChangeLogs when they moved away from CVS (or, in
some cases, when they moved away from RCS).