Tentative Objective-C Runtime Release Plan

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Tentative Objective-C Runtime Release Plan
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:32:52 +0100

Hello,

It has been a very long time since the 1.8 release of the runtime and there
have been a lot of changes.  My current plan is to do a 1.9 release soon,
shortly followed by a 2.0 release.

The 1.9 release wraps up all of the bug fixes and performance improvements from
the last couple of years.

The 2.0 release is a much larger change.  It introduces the new ABI and moves
to using the new ABI for its internal data structures (dynamically updating
older ABI structures on load).  The new ABI is designed for forward
compatibility, making it comparatively easy to extend any of the introspection
structures in future versions.

I have submitted an initial cut at compiler support for clang for review:

https://reviews.llvm.org/D46052

I would encourage everyone to grab the experimental clang and libobjc2 trees
and try compiling with -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-2.0:

https://github.com/davidchisnall/clang-gnustep-abi-2
https://github.com/davidchisnall/libobjc2