Re: -make option to specify runtime?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: -make option to specify runtime?
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 12:22:57 +0100

> On 4 May 2018, at 09:52, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello the list,
>
> For testing the runtime’s 2.0 ABI, I am patching my post-install Makefiles to
> set -fobjc-runtime=2.0 instead of whatever the default is (1.7?).  Please can
> someone who understands how -make works add a configure-time option so that
> you can specify the runtime version?

The current objc-runtime flag sets 1.8

If you are talking about overriding normal behavior, gnustep, make already
provides the abiliity to filter out flags (even for individual files), so I
expect you could add the option in your individual make file to filter out the
1.8 setting and add a 2.0 setting.

On the other hand, if you just want a quick global change in gnustep-make
behavior then edit library-combo.make to say 2.0 rather than 1.8

If you are talking about changing the normal behavior for everyone, using
autoconf is the way to do that ... the autoconf script should, at configure
time, execute macros to determine what runtime version your compiler/runtime
support.  It would then generate the makefiles to use that version.