Re: CA broken; how do I differentiate NSValues for size and point?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: CA broken; how do I differentiate NSValues for size and point?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 23:29:37 +0200

Sorry, you seem to be using an unusual mail format that my Apple Mail isn’t
able to properly reply to.

> Am 27.05.2018 um 21:17 schrieb Ivan Vučica <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 7:47 PM Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was already fully aware of this and the patch I added should prevent your
> test code from throwing the exception.
>
> It indeed has; after figuring out what the cause is, I wrote this to be able
> to check whether your fixes which you mentioned in the email work:
>
> https://github.com/ivucica/libs-base/commit/4771a84f7fd4d8b1536b9f52ef30ec524ec6357d

Great.

> Test that no longer fails is setting the size using KVC.
>
> I'm also pleased that I can probably remove "KVO notification does not get
> triggered for setting struct properties", as well -- I think you told me
> years ago that this was fixed, but only now did I check :-)
>
> If you tell me this test is useful, I can open a PR and we can do a code
> review there.

Yes, we should keep it.

> Of course this is not the real solution. We may have to add the same checks
> for known types in GSObjCSetVal that we already have in other places. This is
> rather ugly code which I would prefer to avoid. I hope to see Richard in two
> weeks time and we may come up with a better solution together.
>
> I am in favor of leaving the bug open on Savannah and Github, then? I can no
> longer reproduce the original issue after updating to the latest fixes, but
> if you believe the solution that's in place is hacky, maybe the bugs can be
> repurposed.
>
> Otherwise, I am fine with them being closed (as the immediate NSSize/NSPoint
> problem no longer persists).

No, keep the two bug reports open. It might be that when we come up with a fix
we will forget to close one of them. Please keep an eye open for that case and
remind me.

> PS: In your test code the second PASS is missing a „!“.
>
> It doesn't; @encode(NSPoint) should be different than @encode(NSSize).
>
> I actually added comments to the new test case I pushed to my personal repo,
> so it should be clearer what's going on.

I was referring to this line:

 PASS(result, "@encoding(NSSize) == pointV objCType“);

And there you check that the two values are not equal, which in C like
programming languages is done via a negation that is missing in the description
string.

I really should be more verbose in my writing. The reason here is that I am no
longer used to communications in English. Sorry for that.