Re: Cutting a release?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Cutting a release?
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 13:50:12 +0100

> Am 01.01.2019 um 12:44 schrieb Ivan Vučica <address@hidden>:
>
> Hi maintainers,
>
> If you want, I can spend some time cutting a release. It has been a while
> since the last one. Do we need a one? Are there critical bugs we fixed? Are
> there critical bugs blocking the release?

There weren’t that many changes to GNustep in the last year, but cutting a new
release would be nice. I have been working on a few changes to the opal backend
to get PikoPixel working in that setup. Having a release deadline in about two
weeks could motivate me to finish these changes :-)

> There’s a pull request for icu-config removal that we could apply to -base.
> It might warrant a release.

Yes, I have been thinking about that pull request. The problem is that this
will break icu on systems where the pkg config for icu isn’t present. I think
this has been around for at least six years. This should be long enough even
for GNUstep standards. :-(

> If the answer is yes, if you can help me by updating the (non-autogenerated)
> pieces of the release notes, that would help me a bit.
>
> If the answer is yes, I would be cutting the release on a weekend.

Great, but please give me a bit more time.

Fred

PS: Did you see the two pull requests for back today? The first one, that
wasn’t a real pull request rather a question about the code, has triggered me
to rethink the removal of RContext. Perhaps somebody else could have a look too?