Re: Cutting a release?

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Cutting a release?
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 22:40:08 +0000 (UTC)

В Tue, 01 Jan 2019 17:29:34 -0500, Gregory Casamento написа:

> Could someone post the schedules for Debians releases or, at least, let
> us know where to look for this information?   I don’t know where a
> reliable source for this information is.  All too often we plan a
> release only to find out we are too late.  Knowing the schedule so we
> can plan accordingly would be quite useful so that Debian doesn’t remain
> months or even years behind us.

Gürkan has posted the schedule for the next release:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBuster

There is no release date set; it could be in April or more likely in the
summer.  There is no schedule for the release coming after buster; it
will become clear only when buster is released.

I guess the most reliable way to be notified is someone from the Debian
GNUstep team to inform you well in advance (~6 months?).  I feel somewhat
guilty here, but like Fred I thought there weren't that many changes to
warrant new releases of the core libraries.  (Not counting David's recent
work on the new libobjc2 ABI.)

There is still time to get new releases of applications like Gorm in, or
even libraries, if the new releases are ABI-compatible.