Re: Errors compiling Libobjc2

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Errors compiling Libobjc2
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 00:23:23 +0200

Hi,

On 2019-06-21 16:13:58 +0000 David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:

On 21/06/2019 16:08, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
ld: error: undefined symbol: _Unwind_Resume

It looks as if your toolchain doesn't automatically link anything that provides the exception ABI. On most *NIX systems this comes from something called libgcc_s.so (which, on FreeBSD, is actually LLVM's compiler-rt - on some platforms it's installed as such). What happens when you compile a C program that uses -fexceptions and __attribute__((cleanup)) on OpenBSD? Does it link something that provides these symbols?

I did some research and found that Unwind_Resume is in libc++, however to get all Unwind symbols, libc++abi is needed.

Thus, if I build libobjc2 with:

cmake ..  -DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS=-lc++abi

it will build and link. Why it is needed, I don't know, but other projects have the same recent on recent OpenBSD since the clang switch.

However, I get then the same error when linking tools and apps,
THus I tried to pass -lc++abi also for base, but then I get

 Compiling file Unicode.m ...
 Linking subproject Additions ...
clang: warning: argument unused during compilation: '-pthread' [-Wunused-command-line-argument] ld: error: attempted static link of dynamic object /usr/bin/../lib/libc++abi.so.0.1 clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation) gmake[4]: *** [/System/Library/Makefiles/Instance/subproject.make:61: obj/subproject.o] Error 1 gmake[3]: *** [/System/Library/Makefiles/Instance/subproject.make:45: internal-subproject-all_] Error 2

so, perhaps this is the right track, but I couldn't figure out the complete solution.

Riccardo