gnustep-back font display broken on cairo

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: gnustep-back font display broken on cairo
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 11:24:50 +0200

Hi all,

I noticed that since commit of 19 May:
Merge pull request #5 from Deek/deek

Font system revamp

font display is broken on certain systems.
Character spacing is broken, characters show excessive spacing between them or between words. Cursor placement may be wrong relative to the displayed characters!
Even selecting the

Some information
- I was able to reproduce this on Devuan/amd64 and Ubuntu/i386
- Certain system are not affected. FreeBSD/i386 appears to work fine for me!
- Certain fonts are more affected than other
- user interface, different applications are affected, it is perfectly reproduceable inside Ink
- it must be related to certain character sequences and/or ligatures

I already tried some debugging with Fred.
I tried disabling back-art-subpixel-text and GSFontHinting (I did not have any defaults, but even made a skip in the code) with no success.

Any further ideas? Anybody else can reproduce this issue?

The patch is big, and the error is bad... it might need a revert.

Riccardo