Re: gnustep-back font display broken on cairo

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: gnustep-back font display broken on cairo
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 21:39:41 +0200

> Am 04.08.2019 um 23:48 schrieb Riccardo Mottola via Gnustep-dev
> <address@hidden>:
>
> On 8/2/19 6:06 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>> I would not like to revert this change even though I agree with you that
>> pull requests this big are bad. The overall changes here are good and in
>> most cases we see no issues with them. As for your specific setting, did you
>> try to run with the property "GSFontHinting" set to the value 17? This
>> should switch back to the old behaviour for font hinting. If this does not
>> help you should try to revert part of the changes. This is easier as it
>> seems. Most of the changes in this pull request deal with font names and
>> weights. That is irrelevant for the font displaying and you may just ignore
>> those changes. Which leaves you with less than a handful of interesting
>> changes to look into.
>>
>> That is currently all I can say as I am away from my computer.
>

> if I set the value to 17, Ink will hang when I open the "test" file I
> prepared (but not other files).
>
> Of course, not only Ink, other applications will hang... e.g. GNUMail when
> displaying a Mail.

Sorry fr taking so long to reply. I tried with the test file you send me
privately some time ago and when setting the value 17, it still works fine for
me. Could you please provide me with a stack trace of the hanging process? As
this isn’t happening for me, nor to anybody else on the mailing list. I would
expect that it is something on your computers. maybe a corrupt font?

Did you try to strip down more of the merged pull request to see which part is
causing this issue?