GNUstep documentation

From: bruce
Subject: GNUstep documentation
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 13:17:23 -0400

Hi

I’m trying to find some help with GNUstep. I’ve reached out on reddit (r/gnustep), and received no response, so I’ll try email.

I’m using FreeBSD, which has pre-built GNUstep packages, and they seem to work well, but the problem I run into is finding documentation for the current version. For example, Gorm. I’ve found this tutorial (https://gnustep.github.io/experience/PierresDevTutorial/index.html#) but it doesn’t match the current version of Gorm. The fields available on my screen don’t match the screens in the tutorial. I try to wing it, but no matter what I select, the menu items for subsequent steps are grayed out. So the section titled Adding outlets & actions is not usable Are there any more recent instructions that match the current version?

To be honest, I don’t like gui designers that much, and would prefer just to write it all from source. To that end, I’ve been using https://github.com/gammasoft71/Examples_Cocoa as a starting point. These all work on a Mac I borrowed, but I have some issues getting them to work on GNUstep. In one case - the ComboBox example, the screen reacts to the controls so slowly that it’s not really usable. Again, the documentation I can find is not very helpful. Mostly it seems the documentation is for older versions of the API. Is there any current documentation for the GNUstep Cocoa API?

I’m starting to wonder if the project is still alive. I see the main web page has been republished - github.gnustep.io - but most of the links I click on in it are dead. Help!

--

Bruce Davidson