gnutls-devel

Re: compilation difficulties on Mac

From: John Ratliff
Subject: Re: compilation difficulties on Mac
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:50:16 -0400

Simon Josefsson wrote:
My configure line

./configure --disable-shared
--with-libgcrypt-prefix=$HOME/unix/libgcrypt --prefix
$HOME/unix/gnutls-20090628

My configure output: http://code.technoplaza.net/temp/gnutls/configure.log
The output of make http://code.technoplaza.net/temp/gnutls/make.log

Can you try without --disabled-shared?
Shared builds work fine. It's only static builds that fail.

I didn't want to use shared libraries because I'm distributing an application and it's difficult to bundle shared libraries with an application. I wrote some perl scripts that help me change the library names and paths which ease the process, so I guess I will do that from now on. I haven't found any way to do this automatically. Perhaps there is a better way I have overlooked, but I'm not well versed in OS X development tools.

Have you tried it with --disable-shared? It doesn't seem to work. Also requires libgcrypt to have a shared version built, which in turn requires libgpg-error to be built shared.
The library builds fine, and if I edit the Makefile to tell it to
ignore the doc directory, I can use make install and the library works
perfectly. I am presently using this patch
http://code.technoplaza.net/filezilla/gnutls-2.8.patch to adjust the
Makefile.

Any better suggestions?

Someone told me to change to the lib subdirectory and make from there. That's what I've been doing and it lets me eliminate the patch.

--John Ratliff