gnuzilla-dev

Re: DRM Content link in about:preferences#general

From: Antonio T. sagitter
Subject: Re: DRM Content link in about:preferences#general
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 11:11:26 +0200

On 5/7/21 7:35 PM, Mark H Weaver wrote:
Hi Antonio,

Hi Mark.

"Antonio T. sagitter" <sagitter@fedoraproject.org> writes:

On 5/7/21 6:21 AM, Mark H Weaver wrote:
Hi Antonio,

"Antonio T. sagitter" <sagitter@fedoraproject.org> writes:
I wish to point the "Learn more" link of DRM Content in
about:preferences#general to the webpage
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/proprietary-drm.html.en

Does IceCat in Fedora show that setting?  I don't see anything about
"DRM Content" in <about:preferences#general> in IceCat as built by GNU
Guix.

Do you have "ac_add_options --disable-eme" in your mozconfig?  If not,
please consider adding it.  Alternatively, if you're using the
'configure' script, passing "--disable-eme" also works.

"--disable-eme" dows not work in some architectures (s390x, arm),
so i removed it.

Ah, interesting.  Thanks for letting us know.

I have to choose if removing "--disable-eme" completely and modify the
link, or using -eme option when possible.

Another approach might be to add

   pref("media.eme.ui.enabled", false);

to data/settings.js in the gnuzilla repository.  It seems to me
preferable for the DRM Content setting to be completely hidden, if
possible.  What do you think?

Yes, this may be a conclusive choice.

What change is needed in IceCat?

See "drmInfoURL" in browser/components/preferences/main.js for the
relevant code.  As it is now, it looks like it goes to:

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:IceCat/drm-content

        Mark

Is it possible using an entire http link instead of
`("app.support.baseURL") +
   "drm-content"`?

      let drmInfoURL =

        Services.urlFormatter.formatURLPref("app.support.baseURL") +

        "drm-content";

I would guess so, although I'd prefer not to embed hardcoded URLs into
the code.

I don't like "Learn more" hyperlinks dead, they're like something incomplete. I'd prefer aiming them to Mozilla's support.

Anyway, thanks very much for your work on this, Antonio, and for
maintaining the IceCat package in Fedora.

      Regards,
        Mark

Thank to you Mark.

--