gnuzilla-dev

Re: Can I do a pull request on icecat for version 115?

From: chippy
Subject: Re: Can I do a pull request on icecat for version 115?
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 20:46:36 +0200

On Fri, 2023-10-06 at 01:11 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Hi chippy,
>
> On 20 Sep 2023, chippy wrote:
> > Hi, I have been working on updating Icecat to version 115.
>
> I wanted to offer a belated "thank you" for getting the ball rolling
> on
> updating IceCat to 115.  I was suffering a bit of writers block at
> the
> time, and your preliminary patches were tremendously helpful in
> helping
> me to get started.  I'm sorry that I was not more communicative at
> the
> time.  I credited you in the Git commit log for the 115.3.0 update,

Hi, it's been a pleasure. I saw the git commit, thanks!
> https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git/commit/?id=497cdf100f405204a22f5de96f142b9d040697e8
>
> but most people don't look at that, so I wanted to thank you here as
> well.
>
> Thanks also for offering to help other users get started building
> IceCat
> from source.  I would like to write some documentation on how to do
> that, but first I need to figure out what to recommend.  Building the
> source tarball is easy, with few requirements beyond a POSIX base,
> Bash,
> Python 3, Wget, Mercurial, GnuPG, GNU sed and GNU Coreutils, but
> building the binary (outside of GNU Guix) is another matter.  I know
> that it can be done on Debian testing, with GNU Guix additionally
> used
> to provide an up-to-date 'cargo' binary, but I'd like to find
> something
> to recommend to people who don't want to run Debian testing with all
> that entails.
I would like to learn how to crosscompile (so far i'm buiding on native
OSs) so Jenkins can do everything in the near future I hope.

I can draft some documentation for the different OSs if you want since
I'm busy anyway building for Linux, Mac OS and Windows.

Also I wanted to ask: is it ok if I distribute installers? Of course
built with unaltered code.
...I'm kinda doing it alredy on Codeberg.

Let me know for the documentation I'm still doing builds on each OS for
now.

Thanks,
Chippy.