gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Net::GPSD3 and POLL

From: Michael R. Davis
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Net::GPSD3 and POLL
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:40:49 -0800 (PST)

Ryan,
I see that the POLL API has changed and was not backwards compatible.  I do remember seeing this on the email list but never got around to implementing.

{"class":"POLL","time":"2011-12-27T04:12:58.157Z","active":0,"tpv":[],"gst":[],"sky":[]}

So, "fixes" is now "tpv", "skyviews" is now "sky".

I should update the Perl lib to support either version.

"tpv" || "fixes"
"sky" || "skyviews"

then make the old methods deprecated aliases for the new ones.

Do you know how to do this?  I don't have a spare GPS receiver at the moment so I'm hesitant to go changing things without a way to test.

I also need to review all of the datetime fields as the API changed the "time" value format from epoch to W3C in different objects over different versions without changing the key name.  I don't have a list of which classes switched from epoch to W3C in which versions but they were not all done in a single version.

I've been thinking about just incrementing the version and forgetting about backwards compatibility in the Perl library but that's just not very Perl-ish.

I've logged this as RT 73489. https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=73489
Thanks,
Mike