gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move

From: Ed W
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:19:33 +0000

On 13/03/2012 16:27, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Bernd Zeimetz<address@hidden>:
Which features are missing we are actually using?
Commits that mention Savannnah v=bugs get their change comments appended
to the bug thread.

For reference I believe you get something similar with github. In that case it can update either it's own bug tracker, or a number of third party ones (quite probably it can update the savannah one if you wish...). Redmine can also do similar

There is a large migration issue between bug trackers if you change "brand" of course. However, given the big gap beween good and bad bug trackers this is probably worth doing if you find something you like...

(also I fail to understand why its such a pain to have two passwords - I
never ever used the password for the mailman or whatever runs the list
as there is no need to use it)
That's because you don't have to moderate the mailing list.  I do.

I personally:
a) use different passwords on *every* website (with so many sites getting hacked at the moment, a shared password is a liability) b) use a password manager so that I never need to know what these passwords are (I personally use Lastpass, but there are other good alternatives)

I guess Bernd's point was that most of us who adopt a procedure something like the above have zero issue with multiple passwords for different sites, even more we *promote* having unique passwords per site as being normal and proper security!

That you have a problem with something that others consider "solved" *might* mean that it's worth looking at your process, rather than the tools themselves..? Just a thought...

Happy to suggest a bunch of alternatives if you are interested..?

Good luck

Ed W