gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:13:00 +0100

On 03/13/2012 05:27 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden>:
>> Which features are missing we are actually using?
>
> Commits that mention Savannnah v=bugs get their change comments appended
> to the bug thread.

That is not a feature of some crappy web interface. That is a hook you
could install whereever you want in a few minutes. Also you can still
keep a copy of the git on savanna and push to it, if you want to use
savannah. Same for most other sites - without looking deeply into the
the gitlabhq code it should be easy to add such a comment.

>> (also I fail to understand why its such a pain to have two passwords - I
>> never ever used the password for the mailman or whatever runs the list
>> as there is no need to use it)
>
> That's because you don't have to moderate the mailing list.  I do.

So you want to do an insane amount of work because its too hard for you
to enter a different password. Interesting. Probably just find some
others to help to moderate the lists, or save the password in your
favourite browser (evil, yes, I know).
There are no proper software choices to run a mailing list, all are more
or less a major PITA to setup und adding something similar quickly into
some other kind of software is not trivial.
You could use a SSO solution like DACS and patch mailman to use it.
Which means to fight with cookies. Not better.

So the summary would be:
- writing a proper list software or addins something like it to a forge
is a hard task (you would have to implement bounce and error handling
and so on)
- administrating a list server is a PITA (configuration, fighting with
abuse messages, spammers and so on)
- integrating SSO into an existing solution is a PITA, too (setup,
configutaion, ....)

My suggestion would be that you talk to the mailman developers, they are
working on mailman3 at the moment and ask them to integrate other ways
to authenticate users.
http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+3.0
And then ask your favourite forge to integrate the new mailman.

And in the meantime maybe just give github a try while keeping the main
copy at savannah and pushing to github automatically.