gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] "Plain Jane" timing GPS is working!

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] "Plain Jane" timing GPS is working!
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 10:34:02 -0400

A few minutes ago I received mail from the test engineers at NaviSys.
They have tested the "Plain Jane" concept (take a stock SiRf-III GPS
chip plus PL2303 USB adapter, connect the 1PPS pin on the former to
DCD input on the latter) with GPSD, and are actually seeing PPS pulse
messages in the logs.

The filter in GPSD doesn't like the pulse shape and is rejecting it, but
that can be fixed.  The essential point is that the hardware mod works
exactly as expected and is producing events visible on USB.

I'm expecting my samples from UniTraq today or tomorrow and may soon have
more good news about our second Plain Jane variant.