gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Upcoming gpsd 3.5 release

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Upcoming gpsd 3.5 release
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 16:06:08 -0400 (EDT)

Bernd Zeimetz has requested that we have a nice stable release shipped
in time for the next Debian freeze in June. While that's a couple of
months out yet, I think it's a good enough reason to ship 3.5 in the
near future in hopes that we can maybe get out one more release
in late May.

The code has been pretty quiescent since 3.4, except for a small cluster of
issues around 1PPS that we think are resolved now.  Chris and Gary
tell me all regression tests and the live tests pass, so I'm putting
us in state yellow (feature freeze, bug fixes only) with a view to
shipping 3.5 around 12 April.

There are a few known problems which I hope to resolve in the next week:

1. We have two bug reports from a devlist subscriber about the NMEA
   driver's handling of the Septentrio PolaR2x.

2. There are two reports of problems with gpsctl not working. There's
   also Savannah tracker bug #35765: gpsctl should use pselect() where
   available.  I'm going to have to give gpsctl some quality time.
   That code is a chronic trouble spot, alas.

3. Our web content needs to move to a stable location (at Savannah)
   and have the right redirect from Berlios put in place. This means
   I need to write a script that can beat Savannah's bizarre CVS-based
   procedure for updating web content into the right thing.

Please let me know of any other issues that need to be resolved before
the next release as soon as possible.