gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 14:24:26 -0700

Yo Håkan!

On Wed, 2 May 2012 22:42:42 +0200
Håkan Johansson <address@hidden> wrote:

> > the ublox 6 has a special mode for single sat operations.
>
> Also the oncore has this mode.  I do not remember if the patches
> bypass the 'require-2d-fix to allow PPS timing' when the oncore
> device reported time as collected in this mode got into gpsd.  I'd
> need to get my equipment running again...

I looked a little deeper at the code. esr changed the code a while back
so that each driver needs to set PPSTIME_IS to mark that the PPS is good
by that drivers standards.  In spite of its name it also conditions
the sending of NMEA or binary time to ntp/chrony.

The garmin and NMEA 183 drivers set PPSTIME_IS after 4 consecutive 2D or
better fixes.

I see code in the uBlox driver to the handle single sat time case, but
it looks a little off to me.  When in time mode it sets 3D mode which
seems odd if time mode is single sat.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588