gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 17:41:38 -0400

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> To meet that goal they want to source about 100 inexpensive USB/GPS for
> the local time source.  Having them all identical should reduce any
> timing errors introduced by subtle differences in models.  These are all
> software guys and previous efforts to get them to solder a few wires
> have been a failure.  Thus the desire to source a commercial solution.

Right.  Hand-building 100 devices was always a no-hoper.

It is also noting that while other people have been blue-skying about
Arduino boards and custom hardware I went to the market and *solved
the fscking problem*.  There's a GR601W on my desk now delivering 1PPS
where I can see it.  NaviSys will produce these in volume for us at
abot $30 a pop and the manufacturing, FCC cert etc. is *someone else's
hassle*.  That's the optimal solution.

It is now May 6.  We got a sustainable solution in *60 days* from a
cold standing start.  Don't try to tell me we'd have gotten any
kind of custom design shipping sooner than that.

> Ugh.  The Garmin 18s are unsuitable for indoor use.  The uBlox6 in the
> GR-601W works well in my basement.

And in my office.  Indoor usability is *strongly* desirable for this
application. Gary is right, the Garmin 18 would not be a good match.