gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Terje Mathisen
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 23:56:38 +0200

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Gary E. Miller<address@hidden>:
>> Ugh.  The Garmin 18s are unsuitable for indoor use.  The uBlox6 in the
>> GR-601W works well in my basement.
>
> And in my office.  Indoor usability is *strongly* desirable for this
> application. Gary is right, the Garmin 18 would not be a good match.

The Garmin 18 was replaced by the 18x several years ago, wasn't it?

My default at-home S1 server has the original 18 with rooftop antenna, a hand-soldered (for PPS) SURE board works fine indoors.

BTW, I just picked up a NetGear 3800 for the BufferBloat firmware, I intend to point that router at the local S1, which should result in better timing than a PPS over USB solution.

Terje
--
- <address@hidden>