gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:41:46 -0700

Yo dave!

On Sun, 06 May 2012 15:10:09 -0700
dave taht <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 05/06/2012 03:07 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Ed W<address@hidden>:
> >> Incidentally I have a load of these (very inexpensive):
> >> http://www.bluenext.co.uk/bluetooth-products/gps/92-bn-903s-gps-dongle.html
> >>
> >> They are detected as a "cp210x: v0.09:Silicon Labs CP210x RS232
> >> serial adaptor driver".  Some googling suggests this is a USB2
> >> chipset?
> > It is, but it sucks.  Due to the vendor's secrecy fetish, the Linux
> > driver for the CP2101 couldn't see 1PPS even if the device had my
> > nagic hardware patch.  This is the exact reason our UniTraq samples
> > didn't work.
> magic hardware patch?

Yup.  Hardware patch connecting PPS from the GPS to CTS on the CP210x.

> kernel patch?

That too, if you want to get the cp210x driver to support ioctl(TIOCMWAIT)
then that would be a kernel patch.

> Building kernels is not a lot of fun
> for cerowrt, I don't have a major build scheduled til thursday....

Well, just be sure you have the PL2303 driver in the kernel and you are
good to go with the Navisus GR-601W engineering sample.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588