gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] NMEA time calculation question

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] NMEA time calculation question
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 10:48:42 -0700

Yo Ed!

On Mon, 07 May 2012 16:44:36 +0100
Ed W <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi, Could Eric or similar give me a confirmation on the current gpsd
> nmea time calculation?

I'll try.

> My understanding is that you take the final GPZDA sentence, then work
> *back* the timestamp of the initial $ by counting the number of
> characters divided by baud rate?

Nope, nothing anywhere near so fancy.  And since the start of gps
sentences is so jittery there is no point to trying except for a
few special case GPS.

> Granted NMEA time is not traditionally considered incredibly
> accurate, but *if* the calculation is as I describe above, then we
> could potentially increase measurement accuracy by 0.5-1ms?

Right now the NMEA uncertainly is 70 milliSec or much worse.  1 milliSec
is noise.

> The reason for asking is that my Venus6 + CP210x has NMEA time that
> appears to measure almost as accurately as a theoretical PPS over
> USB.

Until the CP210x kernel driver is fixed there is no point thinking about
any usage of CP210x for timing.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588