gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 17:06:39 -0400

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > From eyeballing it, it looks
> > straightforward in it's implementation (no idea why it's not in
> > kernel?)
>
> Which gets outside the scope of gpsd.  If you can get the kernel driver
> fixed then have at it, until then it is off our plate.

Gary is right.  This is out of scope for GPSD - and, as a practical matter,
we don't want to incur the delays and uncertainties implied by getting a
CP210x fix pushed into the kernel and out to routers.  We can't let that
be critical path.

That said, if you think you can fix the CP2101x driver, go to it.  It
could simplify deployment later on if the UniTraq design (PL2303 +
CP2101x) suddenly became a usable one.