gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 04:33:43 -0400

Ed W <address@hidden>:
> I would have expected the kinds of problems you are describing above
> to be more easily studied/tested using models in a lab?

Please tell me you are joking, because otherwise you win the prize for
the fscking stupidest thing ever said on this list.

Models are only as good as their assumptions, and models of systems
with lots of poorly-understood causal linkages (like, say, chaotic
resonance in networks) are notoriously prone to becoming greased
slides to la-la land that damage comprehension rather than aiding it.

So, hell no, we're not going to study models instead of measuring
what's really happening.  That would be idiotic. We're *engineers*,
not charlatans or climatologists (but I repeat myself). Our job is to
deal with *reality*.