gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Ed W
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 11:02:46 +0100

On 08/05/2012 09:33, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Ed W<address@hidden>:
I would have expected the kinds of problems you are describing above
to be more easily studied/tested using models in a lab?
Please tell me you are joking, because otherwise you win the prize for
the fscking stupidest thing ever said on this list.

No and I'm getting bored with your overtly hostile attitude. The idiot is the one who thinks that having a repeatable lab situation is of *no use* to debugging a random non repeatable real world problem... I think we all get that the real world doesn't match any model - doesn't make mathematics an entirely redundant discipline though.

Models are only as good as their assumptions, and models of systems
with lots of poorly-understood causal linkages (like, say, chaotic
resonance in networks) are notoriously prone to becoming greased
slides to la-la land that damage comprehension rather than aiding it.

Sure - but the real world isn't repeatable, so many people start by assuming the problem is spherical and moving in a vacuum... Once that works you can try and deal with the vagueness of real world situations.

So, hell no, we're not going to study models instead of measuring
what's really happening.  That would be idiotic.

Yeah, really idiotic...

Well, just remember that the tools you need to process your data are based on a bunch of mathematic models...

I guess lets just get back on topic to gpsd since you like to pick fights with me and it generally seems to deteriorate to you calling me names. I still owe you some results on the stability of the Venus gps NMEA, got some other urgent tasks, but hoping to collect those shortly.

Note to Gary: Chrony has additionally logging I just discovered, if you enable "refclocks" in your logging you can dump the uncooked measurements from your new PPS gps - this may be interesting for plotting stability graphs. It appears if you just use the statistics plot then you are plotting the averaged values

Good luck

Ed W