gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Running regression tests

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Running regression tests
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 18:19:25 -0400

christian Gagneraud <address@hidden>:
> In this file it is said:
> # Synthetic test load designed to exercise the AIS JSON parser
> # These are JSON dumps of the packets in the Schwehr testload,
> # via gpsdecode -j -u <test/sample.aivdm
>
> So I tried to update it with the given command, but there's quite
> some differences (apart for my 2 new sentences):
> - All entries are different because of an added field: "device":"stdin"
> - 2 Type8/DAC366/FID22 are replaced with 2 DAC366/FID56:
>   - For the first one, only the FID number is different (same
> payload, MMSI, ...)
>   - For the second one, MMSI, FID and payload are all different
> - A type 15 have been added
> - A type 24 have been replaced by another type 24
> - A type 24 have been added
> - 2 type 5 have been addded
>
> Attached is a diff, after removing the extra "device":"stdin" for clarity.

I think what's going on here is that, yes, I originally generated the
idempotency test from the Schwehr test load, but the Schwehr test load
later changed and this file didn't.  That's not really a problem;
they're not actually coupled, I just thought it was a good way
to generate random AIS-JSON with real-world characteristics and
decent test coverage.

> I don't see what i can do for the added sentence other than updating
> the file. But the 2 Type8/DAC366/FID22 look suspicious to me. What
> do you think?

Hm, those are proably just the two Type 8s in the Schwehr test load.
Back when I put it together it I think I wasn't yet doing anything
special with extension IMO messages.

What I'd say is this: Just add your test sentences to sample.avdm for
now. We'll treat updating the idempotency test as a separate problem.

> In the mean time, I've just updated synthetic-ais.json and
> test/synthetic-ais.json.chk with my 2 new sentences so that i can
> test the JSON idempotency.

Patch not applied yet.  I'd rather update the test loads once you think
your new code is in good shape.

I was going to release 3.6 today.  How soon do you think you'll have
your patch ready?