gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] OBD data, suitable for GPSd inclusion?

From: Derek LaHousse
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] OBD data, suitable for GPSd inclusion?
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 19:16:17 -0400

> The interface in the car is expressly never an ELM327-compatible device,
>
> Now, you might plug an ELM327-compatible device into the OBD-II port, but
> that, as they say, is different.

I mean that a common interface for the average computer would be through
an ELM327-compatible device, which itself is plugged into the OBDII
port.  I accept that it's slow, but it seems a good target for an
initial pass.  My Dell laptop doesn't have a CAN port accessible.
Thanks for helping me clarify.

> Given that, as of 2008 all vehicles sold in the US are required to implement
> CAN
I would hope to write something which could connect to CAN in the
future, but present the same interface to a client.  I believe this to
be like gpsd supporting different binary protocols.  An embedded
computer may present a CAN header, and it's on my wishlist.

> Slow
Limited by the device, sure.  For something like logging speed against
position, 1/s isn't so bad.  I accept I won't be polling 80 PIDs every
second.

> You asked.
I appreciate your answer.

Derek