gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Time for a snap release due to the leapsecond change!

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Time for a snap release due to the leapsecond change!
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 00:40:46 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> > It's time for a snap release due to the leap-second change!
>
> Why the "snap"?.  This one is over and the next one won't happen for a year
> or two.

Because the leap-second constant in the existing binary packages (used
before the sensor gets leap-second from the sats) is 15.  As of about
36 minutes ago that value is wrong.

I'd like the window during which it's wrong to be as short as possible.
I can't fix the delays in propagating new packages after we ship, but
a snap release will avoid making it any longer than other stages in the
delivery chain enforce.

Yes, it's only one second.  Sue me, I'm a perfectionist.