gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Time for a snap release due to the leapsecond change!

From: Ed W
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Time for a snap release due to the leapsecond change!
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 11:08:58 +0100

On 01/07/2012 21:45, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Greg!

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 07:25:16 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

As much as I don't like having packages download bits, it might be
nice to have a leap second file and a way to grab the new one from
usno, so that release and leap second update can be decoupled.

+1

I update my local pci and vendor/products lists with update scripts.
I update my ssl CAs and SMART disk tables with update scripts.

So a simple CLI tool to do so has a lot of precedent.

RGDS
GARY

The chrony guys already had something like this debate (admittedly quite some months before the event):
http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/chrony.tuxfamily.org/chrony-dev/2012/02/msg00027.html

The executive summary is that nothing is free, it can "cost" as much to maintain a database as shipping a release or relying on imperfect information.

Ed