gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Using multiple location sources to improve accuracy and r

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Using multiple location sources to improve accuracy and reliability
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:19:25 -0700

Yo address@hidden

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 10:49:31 +0200
"address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

>       if you have more then one source of the position, the idea is
> obvious to merge them into one position, as most of the gpsd aware
> applications expect only one position source.

Which is analogous to how an FMS in a large aircraft merges the INS,
VOR, GPS, ILS position data into a best guess fix.

>       For me the point is, that there is already so much code in
> gpsd that address the needs of only very few people, and this options
> need difficult configuration, and it may be implemented in so many
> different ways.

Yup.

>       Perhaps it is time to consider a plugin interface to keep
> gpsd lean, to fulfill special needs, and to avoid multiple coding.

I would lean against that.  Plugins create another interface that
must be documented and maintained, when we already have a very nice
interface for consumers of the gpsd data that also carries all the
data a post processor needs from gpsd.

I lean towards the shim daemon approach already mentioned by Eric.  That
is the linux way, keep each module focused on the one task it does best.
A plugin architecture also seriously contrains how any plugin must be
written without providing any synergy.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588