gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Jupiter-T driver

From: djch
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Jupiter-T driver
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:56:36 +0000

Many thanks for the reply - I've looked a bit deeper here. To avoid confusion,
my receiver says TU60-D001-001 on it - it's not the TU30 series

It is described by the LA010050B datasheet - for example in
http://www.rabel.org/archives/Navman_Jupiter_11_12/LA010050B_JupiterT_DataSheet.pdf

It is capable of three formats - a subset of oncore, a number of Zodiac
messages, and some less good NMEA. Out of the box it sends *nothing*, so it
isn't detected. Unless commanded otherwise, it speaks oncore.

I hacked the oncore driver to include a probe detect that called
oncore_event_hook for event_wakeup and event_reactivate, and the receiver was
then detected as oncore, and gpsmon started to display correctly. (For a quick
test I hard-coded success- I haven't done the code to prove you've seen a
Jupiter-T yet)

I am puzzled by the how to write a driver.html page - it describes the driver I
need, and all the issues writing it would raise, but the driver itself has
disappeared!! I checked all the drivers with non-NULL probe_detect, and the
Jupiter-T isn't there.

Is it possible to look back into subversion to see if it was ever checked in -
I realise we're now on git....

I'd quite like to do the driver 'properly' - but this raises two questions:

1 Does gpsd allow for devices that you have to send characters to before they
start talking. Clearly there's a theoretical risk this could confuse some other
types. I tried the -t command to gpsctl, but this doesn't work as a way to
force oncore, since the unit is silent unless probed, and gpsctl won't call
.event_hook unless the device is detected.

2 The oncore code seems to keep the Jupiter-T in 3D nav mode all the time. The
T is intended as a timing receiver, and on its own it runs a 24h survey, then
freezes location and generate the best timing it can. Does gpsd allow drivers
with options, so you can select whether to run the Jupiter-T as a navigation
receiver, or as a timing unit? (I realise that user-settable options are
essentially forbidden, but how else would you determine what I want to use the
receiver for?)

Many thanks - I've no idea how many Jupiter-Ts are out there, but they are
popular for GPS disciplined oscillators, as they have the very rare 10Khz
output as well as 1 Hz, and 10 KHz makes the PLL filtering much easier.

--David

--
 <address@hidden>