gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Test coverage and AIS stuff

From: Fulup Le Foll
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Test coverage and AIS stuff
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:01:35 +0100

Chris,

I've used gpsd to build an AIShub. For this I wrote a small gpsd client (gpsd2udp) to reproduce AISdispatch functionality and feed MarineTraffic, ShipFinder, AisHub, ... from gpsd. This is in production and works. I proposed a patch few weeks ago, since then I made few improvements to support network failure and added more debug functionalities. If gpsd-dev is interested by this tool, I'm happy to provide it your community.

This being said to move forward and build a real AIShub service on top of GPSd we would need few extra feature on the AIS engine:
  • A) Allow a client to register a moving reception zone for AIS with a client API to:
    1. define the size of your reception zone (example 50NM to simulate the reception of a real boat)
    2. move the centre of your reception (because your boat move or because you moved the map)
  • B) Register a list of MMSI to track, in some case you are not interested in a zone, but in some specific MMSI (ex: tracking a fleet)

All those session flag could be send from the client to gpsd server through "gps_stream" or some equivalent API.

Fulup