gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] android "driver"

From: C.J. Adams-Collier
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] android "driver"
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:00:52 -0700

Yeah, TCP would work.  I want to avoid flakey bits, so Bluetooth is a no go.  I was thinking about setting up an Ethernet over USB tether thing and then allowing the user to configure the app to establish a tcp socket with the host at a specified IP/port on that Ethernet.

That depends on the host system having the bits required to bring up Ethernet over USB.  And might depend on Network-Manager unless there's a way to do it other than by using the GUI bits I've found myself dependant on.

I don't know that I'd be able to convince the phone to listen(), but if I could do that, the host can find the IP of the phone using DHCP or BOOTP, and then bring up the socket by using a well known port.

On Apr 7, 2013 1:57 PM, "Bernd Zeimetz" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I figure I'll call it AndroidGPSD (provided you all don't mind me stealing
> your trademark) and publishing it in the google play store. Anyone feel
> like helping me find a good way to expose the GPS bits to the host system?
> Maybe I could open a named pipe and communicate that way.

Just take
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.kellermann.max.bluenmea#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwibmFtZS5rZWxsZXJtYW5uLm1heC5ibHVlbm1lYSJd
and throw gpsd onto it.

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                            Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 http://bzed.de                                http://www.debian.org