gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fixing parsing code patch

From: Tuukka Pasanen
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fixing parsing code patch
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:50:56 +0300

Hello,
Actually it's socket reading code.. there is more to read when gpsd reads it.
xgps uses actually ?WATCH={"enable":true,"json":true} that makes gpsd to send you GPS fix as soons as possible. Sometimes that is needed option.
Perl version uses ?POLL that is very handy if you want to have GPS fix when your application neededs it without push. Unhandy this one comes because of ?POLL; implementation in gpsd.
You need to be subriber (on doable via ?WATCH) to that device and after that you get fixes pushed to you. There is need to be fixed that ?POLL; asumes also if ?WATCH; is not called that user wants first devices fix. It's wrong but it's not that wrong because users are happier?

Thanks,
Tuukka

2013/5/30 Michael R. Davis <address@hidden>
Tuukka,

I'm not currently actively using gpsd.  Let me know if you need any changes to Net::GPSD3 and we can get them updated on CPAN.

> It's just hanging up in place where it's waiting response. So I digged little bit further and noted that it sends too fast commands '?DEVICES;' and '?POLL;'.

This is the first time. I've ever heard that Perl was "too fast" for a C application! ;-)

> Patch didn't break cgps or xgps because they seems to use JSON.
What should Net::GPSD3 be doing like these applications?

Mike