gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS and privilege-dropping

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS and privilege-dropping
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:31:23 -0700

address@hidden said:
> Suggestions for the howto encouraged.  OTOH, the jargon is out there and
> part of the howto should be helping the reader read and relate our advice to
> the advice given by others.  The alternative to using the standard (RFC1305)
> terminology is to invent our own.  Then most readers would be right to think
> we wre living in our own bubble.

Yes, but the text that started this discussion was:
> One could argue that is out of our scope as it is in the ntp.conf file.
> Basically you get several good chimers and adjust fudges until they all
> agree.  From what I can tel no one really does it right.

That text says "good chimers" rather than "truechimers".

I think "good servers" would be reasonable, and that avoids sending newbies
down a side rathole to learn about Millsspeak.  On the other hand, if there
are other reasons to bring in Millsspeak it may not matter and gpsd should
have a glossary.

If more info is needed about what "good" means in the context of NTP servers,
it might be reasonable to introduce that rathole.

I haven't figured out how much of this new HOWTO will be about ntpd as
compared to gpsd.  It will be a lot of work to explain all of ntpd.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.