gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] &mu s

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] &mu s
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:10:47 -0400

Håkan Johansson <address@hidden>:
> In metric land, a capital 'S' is Siemens (electrical conductance),
> and a miniscule 's' is seconds.  So if a lower-case 's' is good for
> non-metric too, that looks cleaner to me than 'sec' or 'Sec' or
> anything else.

I agree with Håkan.  This was my original usage in the HOWTO - I
conscously went with proper SI nomenclature (rather than folk practice
among radio hams).  In order to avoid bikeshedding, I'm not going to
change it back.  Yet, at least.  That kind of style war should be
deferred until after we have the content right.

> That does however not deal with the nastier greek micro prefix letter.

Which is why I put in a units table.  It means we can use either convention
without loss of clarity.