gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Very basic PPS question:

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Very basic PPS question:
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:30:24 +0000

"Eric S. Raymond" writes:
> When a GPS asserts PPS, is it top of second for the in-stream
> data *preceding* or *following*?
>
> I presume following, but I want an expert to confirm before I
> put it in the HOWTO.

I am not an expert.  I have heard that it can go either way, it can be
device-dependent, and there is a window around the PPS edge (which can
be the leading or trailing edge) where NTP will "associate" the NMEA
sentence with the PPS signal.  The window can be fudged to be earlier or
later than its default position.