gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Very basic PPS question:

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Very basic PPS question:
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:49:15 -0400

Paul Fertser <address@hidden>:
> As a follow-up, this AppNote for u-blox 6 receivers seems to be
> highly relevant to the topic:
>
> http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/Timing_AppNote_%28GPS.G6-X-11007%29.pdf

*That* is interesting enough that I have added it to the HOWTO as a
reference - and made a TODO note to add a driver method to prime your
GPS with a location and (if available) optionally switch to a
stationary time-service mode.

Obviously implementing this for uBlox would make setting up
high-quality time service considerably easier, but there are other
device types that can use the location hint for faster fix
acquisition.

On the strength of that app note and recent experience I'm severely
tempted to add a specific recommendation of the u-blox EVK 6H eval kit
to the HOWTO.  My recent clients shipped me one for debugging and it
is one *sweet* piece of hardware - $349 but you get a uBlox 6 in a
rugged little brushed-aluminum box that self-powers off its USB port
and has an RS-232 port with 1PPS, with antenna puck included.